Glasgow - Bernard Corrigan

What a stunning display of fish, and other seafood, that greeted me as I went into this fishmonger, poulterer and game dealer on Glasgow's Byres Road! 

Earlier I'd arrived in Glasgow, and was rather disappointed to find there weren't that many good food shops in the centre. But then I discovered the Great Western Road, and then Byres Road, and I cheered up (especially when I found this shop):
Fresh fish on sale included cod, coley, grey sole, haddock, hake, halibut, lemon sole, mackerel, monkfish, pollack, salmon, sea bas, sea bream, trout tuna and whiting. All were top quality and looked and smelt fresh.

Their mussels are sourced from “Blueshell” fish farms. These langoustines are landed daily from the West Coast:
There's also crabs, lobster, scallops, squid, and some very large prawns:
There's a good selection of smoked fish, including these Arbroath smokies:
They also sell free-range eggs, and duck and quails' eggs. Not surprisingly they supply some of Glasgow's best hotel restaurants.

I was looking for Andersons greengrocers (which I think was next door) but, after a new Waitrose arrived, I gather it became no longer viable. Thankfully Corrigans are still here. Remember, use it or loose it!

Bernard Corrigan
188 Byres Road
Glasgow
G12 8SN

Tel: 0141 357 2766

Web: www.bernardcorrigan.com

Comments