Goodbye 2014

This is some of the highlights (for me) of 2014. I've finally got round to visiting Cardiff, with has some amazing shops and a good, old fashioned (and that's a compliment) food market. I found two excellent bakers, and I must give a special mention to Laurian Veaudour's Cocorico Patisserie:
One of my sons has moved to Cardiff, so I'm hoping this will be the first of many visits.

I always think bakers are amazing people, working incredible hours for not that much money.  I've been to some particularly good bakeries this year, like Seven Hill Bakery in Sheffield:
 Hambleton Bakery, who last year gained the title Britain's Best Bakery:
and  Clervaux Bakery in Darlington:
which besides making amazing bread (which you could see being made), fine pâtisserie, and had a wonderful café, but best of all they work with the Clervaux Trust, a local charity who support vulnerable adults. 

We had a stay in Bristol, which I grow to love more every time I visit. I really enjoyed my visit to Bristol Food Connections, where you could meet wonderful producers, like Tom from Westcombe Dairy, who makes superb cheddar:
 A special mention must also go to Source Food Hall & Café and the Bristol Cider Shop:
whose real cider or perry would be perfect with that Westcombe Cheddar.

I love a good fishmonger, and must give a special mention to Sandys in Twickenham:
and the amazing Severn & Wye Smokery:
who, like me, have a passion for sustainability.

I've been on a (long overdue) trip up to Glasgow. The city centre didn't have a lot of good food shops, but the I discovered the West End. I found two amazing cheese shops, and two pick a favourite would be like choosing between my children - so I'll mention the both. On the Great Western Road is Iain Mellis:
 and on Byres Road is George Mewes Cheese:
Glasgow is very lucky to have two great cheese shops.

With our changing high streets it's getting harder to find good shops for fruit and vegetables. If only more places had a shop like Glasgow's Roots, Fruits & Flowers:
which also has a nice wholefoods shop next door.

Last, but not least, we managed to get to Belfast. We found lots of good places to eat, and buy food but a special mention must go to St George's Market:
I've been to many other great places, but sadly I can't put everyone in this post. I'm also a bit behind with my posting, so apologies if I've been to see you and I've not yet mentioned you. 

It's also been sad at times, with one or two businesses and organisations closing down. I shall miss Heart of England Fine Foods.

I've finally managed to officially exceed 2 million page views this year, from 194 different countries. So I'd like to thank you for reading it, and especially those who added comments, and wish you all the very best for 2015.

Comments