The Stables at Long Crendon Manor


I might never have heard of Long Crendon Bakery except that, by happy coincidence, it's half way between where my son lives and where we live. It's just 6 miles from Junction 7, on the M40 and so we always try and make a break here when coming home to get amazing bread and other nice things.

Arriving here, it's like stepping back in time (in a good way). A sign outside the shop tells you where their supplies come from:
It's all very local and, for the bread, pork and cider, can be measured in metres/yards!  

I got talking to Tim who makes their beautiful cider, from Dabinett apples (a classic English cider apple variety):
Tim then introduced me to the baker, who gets up at silly o'clock to make their bread using traditional methods.
I think I've now tried all their different sorts of bread, and they are all good. With sourdoughs, and bread with oats and seeds, I believe they are better for you and taste great.

Inside the shop (which is very Covid safe) there is an exciting range of produce:
  

If you like your tomatoes uniform, and tasteless, maybe this shop isn't for you!


I bought some really nice low sugar chocolate here. 

Because I had been talking to Tim for so long, I thought that my wife had got bored and was sat in the car. I hadn't realised that she had already done a shop and had managed to more or less duplicate my bread buying! 
That wasn't a problem, as their bread freezes beautifully. I asked the lady that served me what her favourite bread was. Choosing you favourite bread, from a range like this, is like asking who you favourite child is! She did suggest a Ciabatta, and it was very good.

There's also a café here, which I'm sure will be far better than the motorway services. 

As we left we noticed that they do late night shopping and homemade pizzas on Thursdays.

I will definitely try and get there on a Thursday!

Long Crendon Bakery
Thame Road
Long Crendon
Aylesbury
Buckinghamshire
HP18 9FF

Tel: 01844 396221

Comments