Chester Market

When I started this blog the old Chester Market was one of the first places that I visited (in 2008). I have been visting this market for over 40 years, and whilst the building was getting a bit tired I always thought that it was a good market.

So, just before Christmas, I decided to visit the new Chester Market. I was pleased to see that Geoff Hughes Family Butchers, one of three butchers who were in the old Chester Market, was there:

 with attractive displays of meat and sausage.

Geoff Hughes has worked in Chester Market since he was 14 years old, and set up Geoff Hughes Family Butchers in 1996, together with his wife, Debbie.

I was also pleased that Chester Market Fishmongers were there:

Steven Cartridge was the fishmonger in the old market for over 20 years, and is still bringing fresh fish and seafood from Fleetwood.

Relatively new to me was Stephanie Peters, with Pastry Pédaleur, selling French inspired handcrafted pastries and desserts.

You may have seen her recently on TV, when she appeared in Aldi' s Next Big Thing.

I welcome Just Footprints


It's run by Debbie Groom, who previously ran the refill store opposite the old market entrance in the Forum shopping centre. They offer a wide range of food, toiletries, kitchen and household consumables that can be easily refilled with your own containers and have pioneered a plastic-free and zero waste approach.

But where are the sellers of cheese, eggs, fruit and vegetables, and bread? 

There are plenty of places to eat and drink:

With some very different places, serving freshly prepared food:

but I fear that I personally won't be going to the new Chester Market as frequently as the old one.

Thankfully there's Carole Faulner's excellent Chester Cheese Shop  and a wonderful Fruit and Vegetable shop, run by Francis Thomas, close by on Northgate Street (where I also had an excellent lunch).

Chester Market
Exchange Square
Off Northgate Street
Chester
CH1 2AR

Web: www.newchester.market

Comments