Norwich - Namaste Village

 

Normally I don't review restaurants, as this is a blog about good food shops. However, I will gladly include Namaste Village in Norwich, which I visited last year - as it also has a shop as well. We don't know Norwich that well, so had to rely on reviews for where to eat. One place clearly stood out - Namaste Village. It is situated in a lovely old building, which was built as a Sunday School in 1887. 


We are not Vegan,  but think most people (and the climate) would be better off by eating less meat. However, when we got there and looked at the menu, we wondered if we were in the wrong place! The menu had words like "Lamb", "Prawn" and "Shrimp"! Our friendly, and helpful, waiter assured us that these were all Vegan substitutes for those flavours.

I first came across Chaat Bombs:


at Mowgli Street Food, when Nisha Katona had just one restaurant in Liverpool. I now love them, and always order them when I can. 

Having dined at vegetarian restaurants like Denis Cotter's amazing Café Paradiso, where you don't even notice the absence of meat, I have always been a bit wary of vegetarian places that offer fake meat. However, when I tried some of my wife's prawn dish: 

it tasted like it did contain prawns, even when it didn't.
 

I hadn't tried a Dosa before:


It was very different, and very tasty. Whilst we enjoyed our food, I enjoyed watching films of their Cookery School. It looked really good (I wish that they were closer to where I live). This drew my attention to the Namaste Bazaar, which is at ones side of the restaurant. it started as a small extension to their Cookery Classes. Here you can buy top quality Indian spices, at a fraction of the cost that you would pay in the supermarkets.


I was delighted with everything that I bought there.

By the way, if you live in London, there is now a branch of the restaurant at Omnom, in Islington. The next time I am near there, I will definitely visit.

Namaste Village
131-139 Queens Road
Norwich
Norfolk
NR1 3PN

Tel: 01603 466466


Web: https://namasteindiannorwich.com

 

 

 

Comments