Worth a significant detour

It's exactly a year ago since I started this blog and I've been surprised to discover I've had thousands of visitors from 94 different countries.
Anyway I thought I'd mention some of my favourite places in this post.

Best Bakers
Maison Mayci in Birmingham deserve special praise as do Barbakan in Chorlton-cum-Hardy, but I think Betty's should be the overall winner.

Best Butchers
J W Mettrick & Son in Glossop and Hadfield in my opinion are the best.

Best Café/Restaurant
Delifonseca in Liverpool, who have a place to eat above their excellent delicatessen, clearly care about their ingredients and are reasonably priced.

Best Cheese Shop
I couldn't decide between the Liverpool Cheese Company and the Cheese Shop in Chester. The Cambridge Cheese Company and the Mousetrap Cheese Shop in Ludlow, Hereford and Leominster also deserve a mention.

Best Chinese
Wing Lee supermarket in Trentham is definitely my favourite. It's cheap, clean and has friendly staff.

Best Deli
I considered Appleyards in Shrewsbury, Patrick and Brooksbank in Ashbourne and Porters in Llangollen, but in the end I think my favourite is the Deli on the Square in Ludlow.

Best Farmer's Market
My favourite is the one at Clover Bank Organic Farm in North Rhode (near Congleton), but Lark Lane in Liverpool also deserves a special mention.

Best Farm Shop
A very hard category to judge! I like The Hollies Farm Shop (Tarporley) and Cheerbrook Quality Farm Food (Nantwich) and Greenfields at Telford. Holly Tree Farm Shop (near Knutsford) and Revills Farm Shop are probably my favourites.

Best Fishmongers
Another strong field, Evan's of Didsbury deserve a mention as do the Whitby Catch In the end I decided Cheshire Fish in Macclesfield should be my favourite - especially as it's situated on Roe Street!

Best Greengrocers
It's sad to see the number of greengrocers declining in our high streets, perhaps if there were more like Jackson's Country Fruit Store in Stafford we'd all eat more fruit and veg and be healthier.

Best Ice-Cream
I've decided on Snugburys as they have a fantastic choice of flavours and also amazing straw sculptures.

Best Italian
I thought about Carluccios, but in the end went for Roma in Whitefield (North Manchester).

Best Wholefoods
The best in this category has to be Unicorn Grocery in Chorlton-cum-Hardy (South Manchester). Excellent quality, cheap prices and staff who are committed to what they sell.

I've decided not to say which the best gingerbread or oatcakes are, because they're all different and you should try them all. Besides I've still got a few more to cover....

Anyway may I wish you all the best for 2009? Please keep sending in your suggestions.

Comments